Saturday, January 24, 2009

ugh. & Amazing.

So I had full intention of blogging a fair amount this week, what with the historic events going down and all...
...and then I got sick. ugh.
Sunday night-yesterday was bad. I spent Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday in bed. That's right, I took sick days from work (plus I had Monday as a holiday, and it was wasted), which I never do.
yuck, yuck, yuck.
Bless my wonderful husband for going on white bread and apple juice runs for me.
I'm feeling somewhat better, but still not back to normal.

All that time in bed made for a few good things:

  • lots of snuggle time with the dogs
  • the opportunity to watch (or sleep through) all of the Harry Potter movies
  • the ability to watch coverage of our 44th president as he and his adorable family enter the White House
Tuesday I was feeling awful, but I made sure Harry and the Chamber of Secrets was over by the time they started showing the limos going to the inauguration ceremony. All I can say is amazing. What a wonderful day in our nation's history, and so appropriate that it was the day after MLK Jr. Day.

As I was watching the broadcast, one of the reporters said that they had not seen that many American flags since the day after 9*11. Just like election night in Chicago, I watched the crowd on TV, comprised of so many people, so different, but united in support and elation. Amazing.

I also think it was a blessing to be able to be at home for this one... The day after election day was rough, as those I work with didn't exactly vote to make us a blue state if you know what I mean. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinion, but the amazing thrill of that day was tarnished for me by some hurtful comments. This time, it was pure joy. Oh, and throwing up. (Thanks to the flu, not politics.)

I've heard from others it's being "young and idealistic," but I DO believe that change is on the way. It's not going to be easy, but if we can unite as a nation with a common cause, and keep ourselves optimistic, it can happen.

And now, to try to catch up on all the things I was supposed to do this last week... :)

0 comments: